Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

At 11:37 AM 4/10/00 -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
>I'm not saying this is an easy proposal to enforce.  But I stand by
>the assertion that introducing pre-sold TLDs to the authoritative roots
>under the pretense of expanding namespace is disingenuous because it

Mark, perhaps my language was not clear enough:  "under the pretense..."
presumes that there is a recognition of pre-sales by ICANN, CORE, or
whoever (other than the registrars.)

My point was that the action is invisible to ICANN and the registries.  It
should remain that way.

Registrars present registries with names to register.  How a registrar gets
a name (and, for that matter, when) is not the concern of the registry, as
long as the registrar has not misrepresented the registry.

Let me be further clear that the instant you start getting into the bed of
each registrar at that level, you have a massively regulated registrar
business.

There is a debate about the amount of control/constraint needed for
registries, but I was under the impression that we had massive consensus
that registrars were to do business in the manner they deemed appropriate.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA