Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

At 10:52 AM 4/10/00 -0700, Mark C. Langston wrote:
>  I propose that we allow no pre-sold TLDs to become part of the
>testbed, and I further propose that we re-evaluate this position once
>the testbed period has ended.

Are you then, also, going to propose regulating the ways that registrars
maintain their financial records?  The temperature of their offices?

One of the more difficult aspects to this activity is being very careful
and consistent about what is NECESSARY for ICANN and registries to deal
with, and what is not.

Within the limits of concern about such things as mis-representations of
the registry, the business dealings between a registrar and its customers
are not reasonably the concern of the registry or ICANN.

>The IAHC 7, on the other hand, were of dubious value, were not in the
>roots, and were only reachable by those willing to configure their
>systems to handle multiple independent roots.  They should not have
>been pre-sold as though they were going to be added to the roots
>any day now.  However, if I recall the ad copy, that's how CORE was
>pushing them.

Where and when did "CORE" push them, as opposed to some registrars that
belonged to CORE?

Please be careful to distinguish between activities of the association and
independent actions by association members.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA