Re: [wg-c] Proposed gTLDs: The IAHC Seven

> If there's any doubt, perhaps the registries in question would like to
> speak up with statistics about how many unique 1-letter, 2-letter,
> 3-letter, and 4-letter SLDs remain available for registration within
> each?

How many were available in .com? To change the requirements
for new registries is unfair trade.

> Besides the point of fairness I'm trying to make, there's another very
> sensible reason for not allowing any registry with pre-existing,
> pre-sold registrations into the testbed: Those registries bring with
> them an enormous amount of potential infringement in their SLDs, which
> have not been held in check by any kind of process, be it the UDRP or
> any other oversight.  Just flooding namespace with those pre-existing
> registrations that have sat in the shadows all this time might very
> well anger the IP interests.

How many problems were there in .com? Is the UDRP resolving
them? If yes, then this isn't a problem. If no, then the problem isn't
with the domains, it's with the UDRP.

> Finally, would someone please produce the documents in which IANA
> blessed these various registries with the right to start registering
> domains within these TLDs?  I've asked a few times here, I believe,
> and haven't yet seen them.

Dave will be pleased to present you with a copy of the signed gTLD-MoU,
I'm sure. I'd be pleased to present you with the uncontested court
testimony (as well as 3 live human witnesses) of IANA's directive
to Image Online Design to show them the "running code" for .web
and their approval to charge for registrations provided a suitable
disclaimer were displayed.

--
Christopher Ambler
chris@the.web