[wg-c] The moment of history

Kent Crispin wrote:

> The prime reason that the MoU was not implemented was the intervention
> of Magaziner.  In my opinion the definitive intervention of Magaziner
> was at a meeting at the IETF in Washington DC where the insertion of the
> 7 new TLDs was proposed as a testbed, and Magaziner said "no".  Up to
> that time the MoU was the game in town.

Actually, I believe the prime reason the gTLD was not implemented was as a result

of Rep. Pickerings "Swiss Cartel" speech at the Sept. 30, 1997 hearing before the
House
Basic Science subcommittee.  Just as Pickering's reversal in March opened the way
for
Commerce to backtrack from the Green Paper into the White Paper.

Congress acts not merely by legislating, but through its "Bully Pulpit" function-

telling the executive branch (and anyone else who willlisten) what will and
won't fly.  Congress is not the final say, and doesn't give the details, but DOC
listens with respect to the organization that pulls the purse strings.

Harold Feld