Re: [wg-c] The moment of history

At 02:26 PM 2/7/00 , you wrote:
> > The prime reason that the MoU was not implemented was the intervention
> > of Magaziner.  In my opinion the definitive intervention of Magaziner
> > was at a meeting at the IETF in Washington DC where the insertion of the
> > 7 new TLDs was proposed as a testbed, and Magaziner said "no".  Up to
> > that time the MoU was the game in town.
> >

>Actually, I believe the prime reason the gTLD was not implemented was as a
>result

Harold et al.,

The IETF meeting occurred in December 1997.  This was six months
after the instantiation of the DNS Notice of Inquiry proceeding
and a host of other developments, including the Pickering
hearing in September.  The MoU ceased to be relevant on 1 Jul 97
when the NOI was released.

The premises, law, and institutional arrangements of the
MoU were fundamentally flawed from the outset.   Recommended
readings include: Milton's mini-treatise in the current
issue of Info Magazine, the timeline at
http://www.wia.org/pub/dns_governance_timeline.gif
and my 2 April 97 pleading and brief to the responsible
USGOV agencies outlining the flaws.  Relief was granted both
in the form of the Secretary of State's demarch‚ and the NOI.
See http://www.wia.org/pub/dns-brief.html

--tony