[wg-c] .eu and the notion of regional TLDs

The .eu debate is complicated, that much is clear. However, there are areas
of the globe, such as the Caribbean Basin, which could benefit tremendously
from the kind of community a regional TLD could foster. Unlike the EU, which
has member states enjoying robust country code business and relatively
healthy economies, the Caribbean is making slow progess (or no progress) in
that arena, and could utilize a regional designation to create social and
economic opportunities as a collective. There's really no debating the idea
that, in general, the region could use all the economic opportunity it can
get.

Here's my point: I would hope the notion of a regional TLD, like .eu, would
not be dismissed completely, even if that particular TLD is deemed to be
unneccesary.

Jay Parker
West Indies Communications Group
International Trust House