Re: [wg-c] .eu and the notion of regional TLDs

At 01:21 AM 2/4/2000 , Harold Feld wrote:
>Contrary to Dave Crocker, I do not believe there is a "ccTLD process" that
>handles
>this.  The bulk of the ccTLD delegations took place well before the formation
>of ICANN, and ICANN's relationship with the ccTLDs is still vague.

I would like to thank Harold for this very clear, direct and candid
perspective.  I believe, represents the perspective of a number of
participants.

The problem with that perspective is that it seeks to ignore all IANA
history and on-going processes.  It shows no real concern for making
progress, instead focusing on the opportinities provided in an abstract
sandbox for inventing new procedures.

This is much like saying "you did a great job for 15years, now we will
ignore your work and start all over."

ccTLD processes have not been smooth, over the years, but they HAVE been
extensive and productive.

It is not the task of this group to invent all-new DNS services and
procedures, but rather to CONTINUE and enhance existing services and
procedures.

Rather than looking with glee at each opportunity to intervene and further
delay expansion of DNS TLD service, it should be the task of this group to
encourage continuation of existing work and seek to intervene only where
major difficulties require it.

.EU is being pursued within the ccTLD umbrella.  ccTLDs pertain to
governments and similar authorities.  The European Union clearly and simply
fits within that scope.  That leaves only the two, strictly procedural
questions of its having an entry in the ISO table and the EU clearly
designating its administrative authority for liaising on DNS issues.  There
are few issues within IANA/ICANN that could be clearer or simpler.

It is essential that we not succumb to personal pique, egotistical desires
to be involved in every detail of IANA/ICANN, or the efforts by a few to
obscure and misdirect discussion.

d/

=-=-=-=-=
Dave Crocker  <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Brandenburg Consulting  <www.brandenburg.com>
Tel: +1.408.246.8253,  Fax: +1.408.273.6464
675 Spruce Drive,  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA