Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

At 01:37 PM 10/20/1999 , A.M. Rutkowski wrote:
>At 04:09 PM 10/20/99 , Milton Mueller wrote:
>>Looming at similar statistics a few months ago, I came up with the estimate
>>that com has 25% of the domain name registrations in the UK, about 10% in
>>Germany, and slightly over 50% in France. (France has no one but itself to
>
>It's important in all these statistics to differentiate
>between those registered and those in use.  This is
>particularly relevant for COM, NET, and ORG domains
>outside the US where companies acquire the domains
>to protect company or brand names, but never otherwise

It would be intriguing to hear the method that was used for developing this
curious claim, since it is used so forcefully to discount gTLD
registrations outside the U.S. Anyone want to bet on the liklihood of our
getting a useful followup to this request?

At any rate what is also interesting is the actual strength of those gTLD
registrations.

See an OECD study of late 1997 -- so long ago -- by Dr. Sam Paltridge:
"Internet Traffic Exchange: Developments and Policy"
<http://www.oecd.org//dsti/sti/it/cm/prod/traffic.pdf>

It showed that OECD countries in which gTLDs were at least 1/3 of the total
registrations, excluding the US, were:  Canada, Spain, France, Korea,
Turkey, Sweden, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany and
UK.  The first 4 of those had more gTLD registrations than ccTLD.

I suppose next we'll see an effort to discount these objective data by a
claim that non-US gTLD registrations have gone down since then...

d/

Dave Crocker                 675 Spruce Drive        Tel: +1.408.246.8253
Brandenburg Consulting    Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA    Fax: +1.408.273.6464
<mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>            <http://www.brandenburg.com>