Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

At 04:09 PM 10/20/99 , Milton Mueller wrote:
>Looming at similar statistics a few months ago, I came up with the estimate
>that com has 25% of the domain name registrations in the UK, about 10% in
>Germany, and slightly over 50% in France. (France has no one but itself to

It's important in all these statistics to differentiate
between those registered and those in use.  This is
particularly relevant for COM, NET, and ORG domains
outside the US where companies acquire the domains
to protect company or brand names, but never otherwise
use them.  There is no country in the world outside
the US where COM, NET, and ORG are "dominant" for
domain in use within that country.  Indeed, in the
overwhelming preponderance of countries, they don't
even make a dent compared to country domains - which
are "dominant."

Note, by the way, with the recently changed FR NIC rules
that the just released RIPE reported monthly host counts
for France have risen significantly.  Indeed, for most
countries, the host growth rates for ccTLDs are at least
as great as those for COM, NET, and ORG.
See http://www.ngi.org/trends.htm

--tony