[wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

	Prodded by Tony off-line, I tried actually doing some research on
the relative dominance of .com and the ccTLDs outside the US.  This is an
area in which my lack of technical expertise is painfully obvious, so I'm
posting what I think I learned to the list as a reality check.
<http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Com/> appears to indicate that there
were 263,184 .com SLDs in Europe, and 37,403 .com SLDs in France, as of
10/99.  <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Europe/> appears to indicate
that there were 886,036 total SLDs in Europe as of 3/99, and
<http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/fr.html> appears to indicate that there
were 44,386 domains in .fr as of 8/99.  This seems to me to indicate that
.com plays an important role in Europe, but not an overwhelming one.  Can
somebody please let me know if I'm understanding these statistics
incorrectly?

Jon

Jonathan Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com