Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe -- followup

	It does seem to me that *something* may not be right with these
numbers, since <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Com/> puts the total
number of .com domains in the world at 2,869,778, and Netnames puts the
same number at 6,483,641.  Can somebody who understands this stuff better
than I explain?

Jon

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, I wrote:

> 	Prodded by Tony off-line, I tried actually doing some research on
> the relative dominance of .com and the ccTLDs outside the US.  This is an
> area in which my lack of technical expertise is painfully obvious, so I'm
> posting what I think I learned to the list as a reality check.
> <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Com/> appears to indicate that there
> were 263,184 .com SLDs in Europe, and 37,403 .com SLDs in France, as of
> 10/99.  <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Europe/> appears to indicate
> that there were 886,036 total SLDs in Europe as of 3/99, and
> <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/fr.html> appears to indicate that there
> were 44,386 domains in .fr as of 8/99.  This seems to me to indicate that
> .com plays an important role in Europe, but not an overwhelming one.  Can
> somebody please let me know if I'm understanding these statistics
> incorrectly?
>
> Jon
>

> Jonathan Weinberg
> weinberg@msen.com