Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 01:51:31PM -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
> 	Prodded by Tony off-line, I tried actually doing some research on
> the relative dominance of .com and the ccTLDs outside the US.  This is an
> area in which my lack of technical expertise is painfully obvious, so I'm
> posting what I think I learned to the list as a reality check.
> <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Com/> appears to indicate that there
> were 263,184 .com SLDs in Europe, and 37,403 .com SLDs in France, as of
> 10/99.  <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Europe/> appears to indicate
> that there were 886,036 total SLDs in Europe as of 3/99, and
> <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/fr.html> appears to indicate that there
> were 44,386 domains in .fr as of 8/99.  This seems to me to indicate that
> .com plays an important role in Europe, but not an overwhelming one.  Can
> somebody please let me know if I'm understanding these statistics
> incorrectly?

The 886,036 probably does not include .com.  In April, nominet
reported 264000 in .uk, and mentions that the .de domain is larger.
(See http://www.nominet.net/news/newsletter/index.html).  In the
intervening months nominet has had phenomonal growth (around 100000
names in one month, I believe, though I don't have figures handy).

Kent