Re: [wg-c] .com vs. ccTLDs in Europe -- followup

> 	It does seem to me that *something* may not be right with these
> numbers, since <http://www.nic.fr/Statistiques/auto/Com/> puts the total
> number of .com domains in the world at 2,869,778, and Netnames puts the
> same number at 6,483,641.  Can somebody who understands this stuff better
> than I explain?

Mark Lotter/Netwizards has done many surveys over the years.  It's now
done by ISC.  The counts are mainly of hosts and subdomains.

Check out http://www.isc.org/ds/

I imagine that the "authoritative" number for .com could be derived simply
by counting the .com zone file.  (I don't have a recent copy handy.)

Bill Manning of USC/ISI/IANA also runs a census on a periodic basis.

		--karl--