Re: [wg-c] Re: cherry picking

Chris,

At 09:57 AM 9/15/99 , Christopher Ambler wrote:
> > This does highlight the potential -- and expectation -- for cornering a
> > market (otherwise translated as capturing customers) by permitting
> > registries to cherry-pick (cream skim, low hanging fruit...) gTLDs based
>on
> > strings which are trendy or popular at the time.
>
>And if burgers weren't popular in the U.S., McDonald's would sell
>fish. Where did you learn economics?

Small, unsuccessful companies, like, MCI, DEC, SGI, and a variety of
Silicon Valley startups.

Strictly speaking the area of expertise being discussed is called
marketing, which is quite distinct from economics.

>Unmitigated FUD.

Thank you for the continued professional tone and detail-oriented
content.  It greatly facilitates evaluating the different points of view.

> > Absent such documentation there remains no reason to consider independent
> > activities anything but independent, and to wish such independent folk
>good
> > luck with their  independent ventures.  We can all enjoy the marvels of an
> > Internet which permits these independent activities.
>
>Like CORE.

Since The IAHC/POC/CORE work was sponsored by IANA and the MoU deriving
from the IAHC work was signed by IANA, it will be fascinating to hear the
logic which justifies declaring that work as independent of IANA.

Of course, all of these details are publicly documented.  That continues to
be a fundamental point of distinction from other claims to be put into the
IANA-derived root.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>