Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

At 10:42 AM 8/23/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
> >At 09:19 AM 8/23/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
> >Sorry, I wasn't sufficiently precise:  I was not referring to "searching"
> >for a domain name based on company name.
>
>Same problem.  Hundreds of company names are similar or the same, as are
>family names.

Huh?  Now I have no idea what your point is, with respect to the concern  I
raised.

>I would agree that changing a domain name does hurt goodwill, although I

I wasn't saying that "goodwill" would be hurt. I am saying that a business'
ability to conduct business -- such as having customers access you -- will
be hurt.  That means and impact on revenue.

You seem to be vocusing solely on the trademark related issues, and not
hearing the operations issues.

> >Having more TLDs makes it easier to select a reasonable domain name.  It
> >does NOT affect the difficulties with having to CHANGE an established
> >domain name.  Hence the concern about lock-in.
>
>While this is true, I think that changes in new gTLDs will create enough of
>a "media event" that Internet users will perhaps take the extra step to use
>a search engine to find the company or non commercial web page of their
>choice.

Having search engines is irrelevant to the a) marketing cost of changing
the domain name, and b) the operational impact of having to change large
numbers of (unknown) embedded links.

>This is definitely a problem, as it is a problem for those whose names are
>reverse hijacked.  I don't personally have a technical proposal, but as a
>policy matter, perhaps further encouraging the use of search engines would

search engines are irrelevant to the operatopnal infrastructure of which
domain names and embedded links are a part.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>