Re: [wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

At 09:19 AM 8/23/99 , Mikki Barry wrote:
> >1.  Having developed brand equity in a name means that changing it affects
> >the company's market position, sometimes very, very adversely.  Nissan
>
>This doesn't map to the DNS however since many companies have similar or

Sorry, I wasn't sufficiently precise:  I was not referring to "searching"
for a domain name based on company name.

An important part of modern advertising includes the domain name.  Having
to CHANGE the domain name is, therefore, a source of customer
confusion.  What worked yesterday doesn't work today.  Given the semantic
component to domain names, changing an established domain name hurts
established customer association.

>itself with a very difficult problem.  Thus the need for more gTLDs.

Having more TLDs makes it easier to select a reasonable domain name.  It
does NOT affect the difficulties with having to CHANGE an established
domain name.  Hence the concern about lock-in.

> >2.  A well-established online company has their domain name buried in a
> >large number of referencing web pages.  Change the domain name and there is
> >a major update problem with no technical solution.
>
>This can be addressed at the same time that the new gTLDs are brought in.

The point is not when to address it, but the cost.

Thousands of links, embedded in pages that are under other people's control
and about which the domain name holder well might not even know, will
suddenly be rendered useless.  How do you propose this problem be addressed?

d/

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>