[wg-c] breaking up (names) is hard to do

At 01:04 AM 8/23/99 , Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
> > Given how many times the difficulties surrounding renaming have been
> > discussed in the last two years, I'm surprised they are being missed
> > here.  As I noted in another message, tell Amazon.com or
> > Microsoft that nit's trivial for them to change their domain name...
>
>How does Amazon.VPN sound? If the VPN is a trademarked and chartered TLD
>then Amazon, which is trademarked, could move anywhere it wants.

Apparently the main problems with you position aren't being understood:

The ability to choose an alternate name isn't the issue, nor is the ability
register it or to place it in the DNS.  The issues are:

1.  Having developed brand equity in a name means that changing it affects
the company's market position, sometimes very, very adversely.  Nissan
still hasn't recovered from the folly of their name change from Datsun.  At
the least, the cost of such a change is very high for a well-established
brand name.

2.  A well-established online company has their domain name buried in a
large number of referencing web pages.  Change the domain name and there is
a major update problem with no technical solution.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>