RE: Brands, TLDs, and Private Ownership (Was:Re: [wg-c] GTLD Stra w poll)

At 10:32 AM 8/18/99 , Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:
>Dave, ISPs aren't uninterested... ISP's like AT&T  WorldNet and I would
>suspect many others are very interested. CIX is also involved in these
>issues, as is EuroISPA...

Some ISP ASSOCIATIONS have been interested for a long time.  In the case of
CIX, it was pretty much without the review, consent or even knowldge of
most members.

Most ISPs, themselves, have been explicitly uninterested.  By that I mean
that many were queried directly and said they did not care about the domain
name administration issue.

Exceptions like AT&T appear to be due strictly to their own trademark
protection interests, rather than anything stemming from the ISP business,
per se.  I'd be glad to hear facts to the contrary, but my summary about
ISPs is based on direct, albeit methodologically limited, research.

Oh.  Just to underscore the point:  ISPs are well informed.  They know what
is happening with ICANN.  They know they can participate in these
discussion.  But note how absent they are from this particular
discussion.  That's their choice.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1 408 246 8253
Brandenburg Consulting                               Fax: +1 408 273 6464
675 Spruce Drive                             <http://www.brandenburg.com>
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA                 <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>