[wg-c] Re: Where has NSI claimed that it "owns .COM" ?

>"IMO, NSI's assertion that it owns .com and/or that it has any
>property rights in the associated contacts database is a theft."
>

>Where has NSI claimed that it "owns .COM" ?

In its trademark applications for DOT COM MAIL, DOT COM DIRECTORY, DOT COM
PEOPLE and DOT COM TOOLKIT.

As an aside, Sun has filed for "We're the dot in dot com" and Imedia has
filed for "We're the com in dot com."

Assuming for the sake of argument, that NSI did claim trademark rights in
.com, then it could be argued that someone who used .com as a trading name
was a licensee, so amazon.com and sexwithanimals.com (it exists) would be
licensees of NSI.  However NSI has repeatedly stated that it is not
responsible for the content of web pages, so i guess it doesn't exert
quality control on its licensees.