Re: [wg-c] GTLD Straw poll

>>> "A.M. Rutkowski" <amr@netmagic.com> 08/17/99 08:04PM >>> wrote:

>At 07:54 PM 8/17/99 , Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>>in the root.  That's what we're here to discuss; that's
>>what you keep trying to pull the discussion away from;
>
>OK.  We have lots of common agreement.
>
>Why not agree the new TLDs are brand names, let
>the legacy maintainers hold onto their brands,
>and parcel out the rest by some mutually agreeable
>fair method (e.g., lottery)
>

>--tony

As to the maintenance by NSI of com/net/org:

A steward who attempts to convert the subject of his trust
to his own private ownership demonstrates is unfitness to
have held the trust in the first place.  NSI has been a monopolist;
its treatment under the new regime should be analogous to the
treatment of Ma Bell after the breakup of the AT&T monopoly.

Likewise, pulling the rug out from underneath the one entity that
has shown the moxie and persistence to pose a serious threat to
CORE's monopoly testifies to the foolishness of allocating entry
into the root by lottery.

Finally, the concept of converting a generic TLD into a private brand is
anathema to the concept of holding the TLD namespace as a public trust.

KJC
<As usual, please disregard the silly trailer.>

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com