Re[2]: [wg-c] GTLD Straw poll

Tuesday, August 17, 1999, 5:25:57 PM, Ken Stubbs <kstubbs@dninet.net> wrote:

> i find that approach not at all practical. the lottery concept makes
> absolutely no sense either.

> the best approach i feel is a "bid" basis for managing registries . you set
> up an evaluation committee which consists of primarily technical-oriented
> persons to assure that proper resources & technology is there for each
> prospective bidder and place the emphasis on quality & efficiency as well as
> cost to deliver the services.

The "BID" concept is very flawed.  It restricts the commercial models
available to registry operators to a degree that FAR exceeds any need
to regulate.  The competitive market will make sure quality and
efficiency and cost are maintained, as in ANY truly competitive
market.

All the bid concept does is place artificial limits with no real
justification for it, and actually create a bureacracy that will
stifle innovation.

> the concept of shared registries is also very intriguing as well as it could
> create "healthy" competition
> between registry mgt. companies co-managing  the same gtld

Great, then we can have some shared TLDs and see how they do in the
market.  That's the whole idea.  Let the market decide, except where
there is a clear and compelling reason to place a restriction.

Something being "intriguing" is not a compelling reason, Ken.

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org