Re[2]: [wg-c] GTLD Straw poll

Tuesday, August 17, 1999, 5:04:07 PM, A.M. Rutkowski <amr@netmagic.com> wrote:

> At 07:54 PM 8/17/99 , Kevin J. Connolly wrote:
>>in the root.  That's what we're here to discuss; that's
>>what you keep trying to pull the discussion away from;

> OK.  We have lots of common agreement.

> Why not agree the new TLDs are brand names, let
> the legacy maintainers hold onto their brands,
> and parcel out the rest by some mutually agreeable
> fair method (e.g., lottery)

Provided the ALL maintainers agree to certain contractual
stipulations.

Such as to maintain complete public information services on domain
ownership and contact info according to acceptable standards. Such as
that the maintainer agrees to transfer ALL IP rights to the TLD and
the relevent related material (such as the database) to ICANN for
reassignment should it default on the contract, or otherwise be unable
or unwilling to continue operations. etc

You have seen these suggestions before Tony.

Comments on them?

--
William X. Walsh - DSo Internet Services
Email: william@dso.net  Fax:(209) 671-7934

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org