Re: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal

At 12:49 01-08-99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

> > Try the
> > following:
> >
> >          http://3032771137.io
>
>If you go to Mr. Connelly's web site, you will learn:
>* that he is a Core registrar with a direct economic interest in specific
>TLDs.

Dear Professor:

Is there a sin in having an economic interest in anything?

I am for law an order on the Internet.   I have been active in Intellectual
Property issues in Japan since 1974.  The filing for Japanese Trademarks
for well known foreign marks was quite common at the time.  In the 1980's,
I headed an activity of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ) to
monitor newly filed Japanese Trademark applications to assist the JPO in
reducing the number of predatory marks being granted in Japan.  It was like
the "Wild West" in Trademark practices in Japan in those days.

I was well aware of the problems of cybersquatting, though we did not know
that word at the time.  In January of 1997, the ACCJ IP Committee (of which
I was Vice-Chair) had Professor Doi speak on "Famous and Well Known
Trademarks".  He had authored the Japan chapter of the book of the same
name.  I have known Doi-Sensei since 1975 and had arranged to have him
speak to the ACCJ on three prior occasions.

I entered the domain name fray because it looked as though the IAHC had the
potential for reducing cybersquatting and warehousing.

I first heard of the IAHC in February of 1997.  I was already impressed
before they posted the very first version WIPO domain name arbitration
discussions.  I therefore went to Geneva for the 29-30 April, 1 May
meetings.  (I even carried my copy of "Famous and Well Known Trademarks"
with me to Geneva. )  At that time, there was no thought of our firm
becoming a registrar.  CORE members were to be selected by lottery, with
only 28 world wide, four per region.   I felt there was very little chance
of being pulled out of the hat as one of the four for Asia Pacific.

Well after the IAHC meeting, I learned that the lottery was history.  We
then set about to become members of CORE.  I think our motives were all
good.  We wanted to take part in charting the future course of domain name
registrations.  Of course, we did not expect it to be a charitable
contribution;-{

I fully believed that Jon Postel had the authority to propose new gTLDs.  I
believed that ISOC was proceeding properly in forming IAHC.  I could see
that IAHC had knowledgeable experts from various disciplines actively
participating in formulating their plans.

That was a few bucks ago and plenty of disappointments as well.

You suggest that we have a "direct economic interest in specific
TLDs."  Gosh, we certainly didn't think up .firm, .shop .etcetera.  The
exact gTLDs were not the issue, providing additional name space *was* and
*is* the issue.  Providing for multiple opportunities for identical SLDs
from legitimate users *was* and *is* a directly related issue.  Why should
not United Van Lines, United Air Lines, Untied Parcel Service and others
have an equal place at the Internet "table"?

Much has changed since then.  We now know of the concept of directory
services.  It was more or less in that context that I posted
http://3032771137.io  (Admittedly, that posting was in response to another
writer who suggested an all numerical SLD.)

I hope this note has clarified why I am here and what my objectives
are.   I think if we met face to face, we'd find we have more in common
than otherwise.  I think you challenge us to think.  I had professors at
Caltech who would make statements which they *wanted us* to
challenge.  Perhaps that's one of your motives, too.

However, I really have to say some of your analogies are distractions.

Personally and respectfully,
BobC

"Measure thrice and cut once."
 From "Little Britches".