Re[2]: [wg-c] Eureka?

Saturday, August 07, 1999, 6:19:02 AM, Javier SOLA <javier@aui.es> wrote:

> At 17:39 6/08/99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>>Absent a plan, I am quite sure that the practical difference between your
>>so-called "planning" and the plans and choices made by registries who are
> able and
>>willing to operate TLDs is not very significant.

> Very simple.

> Either it is the community who decides for the good of itself or, in your
> plan, an individual or organization for its own benefit...

> What is is best for the Internet Community?  Having the power to decide or
> giving this power away to somebody else whose interests are different than
> those of the community itself (making money for himself)?.

Does your community vote to decide what type of food restraunts will
be permitted to serve at particular locations?  The community will
vote with their business.  Just like in any other market.

> In no case the choice of gTLDs should command a specific registry to run
> it. The Internet should have the best gTLDs run by the best registry
> operators. Bundling them together probably means acquiring compromises that
> are not in the best interest of the Internet.

> They must be kept separate.

> We are not in an open market with illimited resources, to which open market
> standards apply and that might develop itself through offer and demand. We
> are talking about managment of scarce resorces.

Please indicate how you came to see TLDs as a "scare resource"
[corrected].  I can't imagine any definition of scarce that would
apply to the domain name space.

> The fact that anybody wants to make money out of these resources does not
> change their status, it only complicated the problem.

The problem being.....?

The fact that people want to make money selling Pizzas doesn't
complicate any problems either.....

You are assuming the name space is scarce, and then making policy
decisions based on that assumption.  Take a step back and lets address
the issue of scarcity, because there is a broad diversity of opinion
on that point, and without that point, your entire argument falls
apart.

[not that you will see this, Javier, your filters will prevent that.
Then you have a justification for trying to explain why you ignored
perfectly valid discourse.]

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

(IDNO MEMBER)
Support the Cyberspace Association, the
constituency of Individual Domain Name Owners
http://www.idno.org