Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

At 17:39 6/08/99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:

>Absent a plan, I am quite sure that the practical difference between your
>so-called "planning" and the plans and choices made by registries who are
able and
>willing to operate TLDs is not very significant.

Very simple.

Either it is the community who decides for the good of itself or, in your
plan, an individual or organization for its own benefit...

What is is best for the Internet Community?  Having the power to decide or
giving this power away to somebody else whose interests are different than
those of the community itself (making money for himself)?.

In no case the choice of gTLDs should command a specific registry to run
it. The Internet should have the best gTLDs run by the best registry
operators. Bundling them together probably means acquiring compromises that
are not in the best interest of the Internet.

They must be kept separate.

We are not in an open market with illimited resources, to which open market
standards apply and that might develop itself through offer and demand. We
are talking about managment of scarce resorces.

The fact that anybody wants to make money out of these resources does not
change their status, it only complicated the problem.

Javier