Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

	I think Kevin's post is extremely helpful.  There's been a lot of ink
spilled attacking the idea that, on Day One of the new regime, we should
immediately add 100 new gTLDs to the root.  It seems to me, though, that
that's a strawman: I'm not aware of anybody in the WG who's advocating
that.  So far as I know, everyone here who believes in the addition of lots
of new gTLDs is in favor of some sort of phased rollout.  Such a rollout
might, for example, look like the one contemplated in
draft-postel-iana-itld-admin-00.txt: ten new registries and 30 new gTLDs
per year, for a period of five years.[*]

	The debate within the WG, near as I can tell, is between three positions:

	[1] We should agree now on a phased rollout under which a lot of new TLDs
end up being authorized over the next few years.

	[2] Having a lot of new TLDs sounds good in theory, but our action should
be to add a few new gTLDs now, and later on we can revisit the possibility
of adding additional ones (or not).

	[3] We should add a few (or no) new gTLDs and stop, because having lots of
new gTLDs isn't a good idea.

	I think [2] won't work -- if we try it, odds are we'll end up adding a few
new gTLDs and no more. If we add three or five or seven new TLDs, and then
replay the entire argument from scratch, the weight of inertia will be
heavily on the side of those who argue against expanding the name space.
Current TM interests will still oppose future TLDs; the new TLD operators
added by ICANN won't be thrilled about further expansion either.  So if we
are *in fact* to add a lot of TLDs in the long term, I think option [1] is
the only way to do it.

	Kent has argued that it's important to structure the name space; I think
that's a separate issue.  FWIW, though, the interest in structuring seems
to me to cut in *favor* of an extensive phased rollout.  If we wanted in
the long term to have a lot of gTLDs in a structured name space, it would
make sense to plan out that space *now*, and then get those gTLDs out there
in a phased rollout.  It would make less sense to plop in a few new gTLDs
now, and only work out the structure later on, after deciding whether there
are in fact going to be any more gTLDs.

	I've explained before why I think adding a lot of new gTLDs is a good
idea.  Some folks have argued that having many new gTLDs would be bad b/c
the proliferation of gTLDs will greatly increase trademark policing costs.
It seems to me essentially inevitable, though, that ICANN will adopt
policies ensuring that all new registries have uniform search protocols.
If ICANN does so, then the impact of new gTLDs on trademark policing costs
shouldn't be great.  (Nothing I'm saying in this post, BTW, goes to whether
we should have a large number or a small number of *registries*
administering the TLDs.  That's also a separate issue.)

	If we reject [2] and [3], we're back to [1].  How quickly might the phased
rollout go?  That depends, I guess, on the risks that it poses.  I've seen
two arguments that a too-rapid rollout would be risky.  One is that
establishing new registries too quickly will make it difficult for ICANN to
ensure that all of the new registries have appropriate dispute resolution
policies and protocols for finding contact information.  The second is that
rollout should be slow in order to allow gradual testing of the new dispute
resolution process.

	I don't see the first argument as substantial.  Unless ICANN flops
entirely (in which case our entire discussion is moot), I expect it to have
the power to impose on the registries, via contract, any dispute-resolution
and contact-information policies it finds desirable, and I don't expect to
see the registries to flout the contractual terms they've just agreed to.
I do think the second argument raises a legitimate concern.  But I don't
think our desire to avoid overwhelming the dispute resolution process means
we need to dribble out domains at the rate of only a few a year, say; I'm
not sure why something close to a Postel-style rollout won't do it.

	Thoughts?

Jon

[*] Postel raised the possibility of adding a larger number during the
first year.

Jon Weinberg
weinberg@msen.com