Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

At 02:34 PM 8/4/99 , Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
 >I've explained before why I think adding a lot of new gTLDs is a good
 >idea.  Some folks have argued that having many new gTLDs would be bad b/c
 >the proliferation of gTLDs will greatly increase trademark policing costs.

Jon,

I think you're accurate in reaching this conclusion -
which summarizes the quite simple state of play that
has always existed with respect to this question.

I'd introduce one other factor, however, that you
don't raise - namely that this is an enhanced information
service offered as a resource among private networks and
users, for which any kind of regulatory regime beyond
the most essential technical and operational requirements
is inappropriate and impermissible.  In other words, DNS
services should be treated exactly like any other Internet
information service or application.

No one "regulates" networks - even backbone networks -
or search engines, or email provisioning, or any of the
myriad other services.  There is no reason why DNS is
any different, and I believe that any other approach
will ultimately fail to pass judicial muster.

--tony