RE: [wg-c] Eureka?

This is exactly the point that Chris was making. It is also the point
that I was making. However, it hasn't occurred because it is not a free
market, at the moment. It can not occur as long as TLDs are restricted.
The current restrictions, on supply, are exactly the reasons that a
average price for a domain name is around $35US per year, when it could
be much lower. Adding new TLDs, with the same registry, will not
increase competition only a greater number of registries will do that.

I feel that I am actually taking a moderate stance, and so is Chris. We
(MHSC and IOD) would like to operate competitive registries. But, we can
not do so without new TLDs. But, we only need one [TLD] each to do so.
IMHO, pgMedia is missing the point. Just like they missed with their
anti-NSI law suit. (A number of us chuckled privately over that one).
The key is the registries and their number. Sure, there can be
non-commercial registries, even public ones. The tendency has been to
argue against commercial registries, pointing to NSI as the evil
example, and to make non-commercial/public-interest the ONLY registry
model. We (MHSC and IOD) are arguing that this is both myopic and
unrealistic.

BTW, I am firmly of the opinion that the ONLY way Kent's model will work
is as a government institution. It is not incidental that the only
business model he [Kent] has direct experience with, is with government
institutions. In fact, the IAHC/MoU model was closely parallel to that
of a government instiutution. If we wind up going that way I see no
point to removing USG control of the roots (aka "privatization") and I
might side with the Heuben's in that instance.

The problem is that the institutional model will not work in the face of
free-market competition, any more than communism can survive with a
capitalist neighbor. Communism/Institutionalism is too passive for that
to work. Historical instance-proofs are extant. IMHO, This is why that
camp is more exclusive than the free-market camp.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, CEO
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
http://www.mhsc.com/
mailto://rmeyer@mhsc.com