RE: [wg-c] Eureka?

> Behalf Of Kent Crispin
> Sent: Saturday, August 07, 1999 11:02 PM
>
> They might have made a killing, but I don't think so.  There were
> around 70 or 80 registrars; anyone else (including IODesign) could
> pay the entrance fee and become a registrar (if you thought they were
> going to make a killing, you would certainly sign up to be a CORE
> registrar), and soon there would have been 700 registrars.  Say each
> new TLD sold 5 million registrations in a year; that's $35M if
> current prices hold.  $35,000,000/700 = $50,000.  The registry was
> constrained to be a cost-recovery basis, so no one would be getting
> rich running the registry.

A few points here;
1) I recognise the BellCore model when I see it. IMHO, won't work.
2) I don't know about IOD, but MHSC doesn't see a value proposition
worth investing in, wrt CORE.
3) MHSC has no interest in joining a group [CORE] that would limit MHSC
activities, yet MHSC had no hand in building, and would never be allowed
a hand in altering. This is the sum total of MHSC objections to
ICANN/DNSO also, BTW. Why should MHSC spend money in an organization
that, with its very first acts, dis-enfranchises every class MHSC could
belong to and locks MHSC out of the remainder with railroad politicks
(obviously selective dis-enfranchisement of entire constituencies).
4) Are you now a CORE sales agent?

> You might say that 700 registrars is way too many -- maybe.  But I
> assumed that every one of the new TLDs matched .com in a single year,
> which is also rather unlikely; and that current prices held (also
> unlikely).

You keep talking past the points, we were discussing REGISRIES and not
registrars. Registrars are not competition.