Re: [wg-c] Eureka?

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 12:36:42PM -0700, Christopher Ambler wrote:

> Your assertion that creating additional
> TLDs has no effect on the value of other TLDs is plainly wrong: the
> value of computers.com approaches nil when there are 300 other TLDs
> that can register the same name.

Nice theory.

It is currently possible to register "computers.to", "computers.nu",
and "computers.xx", where xx is one of several other "open ccTLDs".
I don't see the value of "computers.com" rapidly approaching "nil".
In fact, the value of "computers.com" has probably increased
substantially over the last six months.  In fact, it is just as
likely that the addition of 300 new TLDs would make "computer.com"
*more* valuable, not less, because of the visibility it would confer.

One can make arguments from the blind theory of supply and demand,
but in fact there are too many unknowns at this point to predict.