[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Representation on the GNSO WHOIS privacy steering group (fwd)

Jim,

You correctly note that I am new to the group having joined Network
Solutions in late February 2003.  Given that fact and the nature of your
earlier remarks, I would not engage in public comment on your post.  In the
short time that I have participated in the RC, I have attempted to
contribute constructively on issues that are of mutual interest to
registrars and, specifically, on WHOIS and privacy.  You can be your own
judge based on my contributions to the list and from any calls we may have
been on together.

With regard to the nomination, the purpose of the Steering Group is to
generate a forward-looking work plan based on inputs from the Montreal Whois
workshops (which I will be attending) as well as inputs from the open WHOIS
calls that have taken place over the last few weeks (which I attended).
Although the Steering Group will not engage in policy making, its job is
important in this respect: the issues raised to date are multi-faceted and
do not lend to effortless resolution.  I believe the Steering Group can
provide an invaluable service to the RC and all interested parties by coming
up with a rational and logically constructed work program that will form the
basis of subsequent WHOIS policy development process.  I have put
significant thought to that particular issue and believe I can effectively
represent the RC's interest in achieving a workable solution sooner rather
than later.

Therefore, I accept the nomination made by Elana and seconded by Bruce and
thank them for their consideration.  I will post the required disclosure and
conflict statement shortly.

Regards,
Brian