From: Tim Ruiz [mailto:tim@godaddy.com]
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 1:39 PM
To: Elana Broitman; 'Registrars List'; 'Jim Archer'
Subject: RE: [registrars] Representation on the GNSO WHOIS privacy
steering group (fwd)

>It was hoped at the time to have a voluntary code by which registrars
would >abide.  With all appropriate antitrust guidance in mind, of
course, it may >be time to resurrect that idea and promote constituency
members to work >according to voluntary principles, which among other
things uphold consumer >interests.

Elana, I appreciate your motive, but I don't agree. We all have an
accreditation agreement and various registry agreements that govern much
of what we do. Beyond that, registrars should be free to pursue whatever
business model they feel works best for them without the potential that
a bloc of registrars in this group would decide that it is not best
practice.

We already have so much to discuss, debate, decide, and pursue. I
sincerely hope we don't spend any more time on this marginal concept.

Tim