ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

Dave Srikanth and all former DNSO GA members,

DPF wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:17:35 -0500, "Srikanth Narra"
> <sri@domainmates.com> wrote:
>
> >Deleting a domain because of inaccurate WHOIS record is not right. Someone
> >paid for it. If the registrar didn't have problem accepting the money - they
> >or someone else should not invent causes to delete it.
> >
> >I can not comprehend and am yet to hear a single legitimate reason or
> >benefit that comes from a domain being deleted because of an inaccurate
> >WHOIS record. If its current policy then its wrong policy and should be
> >changed.
> >
> >Even in (extreme) cases like say spamming or malicious virus attacks, etc.
> >from a domain with inaccurate WHOIS record. I don't see any reason for the
> >domain to be deleted. The domain marked be marked and left disabled.
>
> There does seem a simple solution here.  If whois details are found to
> be inaccurate the domain is removed from the zone file, but remains
> registered to the registrant for the term paid for.

  This is one approach, sure enough...  However it doesn't seem to be
much of an improvement if getting the details corrected or updated
is one of the goals.  Rather if the registrant of said domain Name
can't do a whois on his/her own Domain Name to see what the
problem is, how than can it be adequately corrected.  For instance
if a Registrant is on a long vacation or in the hospital for a lengthy
period is such an action warranted or even wise?

  So I would say that your solution Dave is one that could be used,
but that circumstances would need to be known before it was
employed...

> If the registrant is a legitimate user, then once their domain stops
> working they will eventually contact the registrar to get it fixed.

  Not necessarily.  See my above remarks...

> If the registrant is bogus, a spammer etc, then they will not want to
> make contact and their domain will be unusable until they supply
> correct details.

  Or maybe the details are correct but the contact information listed
is monitored and filtered appropriately to avoid being harassed
unnecessarily.  I have had the unfortunate experience myself
from one of Afilias's Exec's in this regard for instance.. So I forwarded
my contact information automatically to my Lawyer and he recorded
the phone conversations, than sent it into a law enforcement agency.
That seemed to clear up the problem...  However many registrants
will not have this capability...

> This way domains with fake whois details become unusable, but it
> doesn't allow people to "steal" domains just because someone is
> overseas or doesn't update their contact details.

  Well yes, but first one has to legally establish that the contact
details are indeed "Fake" if such a solution should be employed
or used.  Hence I must still be in agreement with Srikanth...

> DPF
> --
> E-mail: david@farrar.com
> ICQ:    29964527
> MSN:    dpf666@hotmail.com

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801