ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:17:35 -0500, "Srikanth Narra"
<sri@domainmates.com> wrote:

>Deleting a domain because of inaccurate WHOIS record is not right. Someone
>paid for it. If the registrar didn't have problem accepting the money - they
>or someone else should not invent causes to delete it.
>
>I can not comprehend and am yet to hear a single legitimate reason or
>benefit that comes from a domain being deleted because of an inaccurate
>WHOIS record. If its current policy then its wrong policy and should be
>changed.
>
>Even in (extreme) cases like say spamming or malicious virus attacks, etc.
>from a domain with inaccurate WHOIS record. I don't see any reason for the
>domain to be deleted. The domain marked be marked and left disabled.

There does seem a simple solution here.  If whois details are found to
be inaccurate the domain is removed from the zone file, but remains
registered to the registrant for the term paid for.

If the registrant is a legitimate user, then once their domain stops
working they will eventually contact the registrar to get it fixed.
If the registrant is bogus, a spammer etc, then they will not want to
make contact and their domain will be unusable until they supply
correct details.

This way domains with fake whois details become unusable, but it
doesn't allow people to "steal" domains just because someone is
overseas or doesn't update their contact details.

DPF
--
E-mail: david@farrar.com
ICQ:    29964527