Re: [ga] Internationalized Domain Names deployed

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 09:55:17AM +0200,
 Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> Well... but who is going to make policies in this field (if any)
> regarding gTLDs?

Ah, yes, we have a problem here. I'm glad I'm not in charge of solving
it.

> If you could tie up any possible IDN string to a single language, you
> could decide to apply for that string the rules decided locally for
> that language (i.e. use the French rules for libertè.com, but the
> Italian ones for libertà.com). But this is clearly impossible in
> practice.

Multi-lingual countries (like Switzerland) can have a map that suits
every national language. It is easy in Europe, probably more difficult
for countries like India.

> So either someone (perhaps CENTR and other ccTLD associations?) can
> come up with best practices for variant tables to be applied at the
> global level, or we won't be able to have any policy in the field.

CENTR is just working on exchanging information between ccTLD. To
develop common (but optional) frameworks, we have the idn-reg-policy
mailing list <URL:http://www.imc.org/idn-reg-policy/index.html>.