Re: [ga] Internationalized Domain Names deployed

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:47:58 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

>There are hardly any languages that are not handicaped by the ASCII
>limitations. In Europe I can only think of English and Welsh. Perhaps also
>Italian. (Roberto correct me!)

We currently use accented vowels in the end of words (theoretically we
also have accented vowels in the middle of words, but they're not
commonly used any more except in a few cases). Everybody has got used
to substituting an accented vowel with the equivalent non-accented one
in domain names, so I expect that most IDN registrations from Italy
will be from people already owning the non-accented equivalent of a
word having an accented vowel, and wishing to register the accented
equivalent to prevent misusage. In fact, while IDN registrations in
.it are currently forbidden, discussion is open on whether current
registrants should be given the accented equivalent for free.

Which brings me to the issue that nobody has ever decided whether,
say, the current owner of liberte.com should have any priority right
on libertè.com. (I think he should, otherwise we're going to see
plenty of disputes.) I tried to make this point during the public
forum in Rio, but I guess that, due to my bad relationship with
microphones, nobody actually got it :-(
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---