Re: [ga] Internationalized Domain Names deployed

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, at 15:19 [=GMT+0200], Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Which brings me to the issue that nobody has ever decided whether,
> say, the current owner of liberte.com should have any priority right
> on libertè.com. (I think he should, otherwise we're going to see
> plenty of disputes.)

I am not sure this is as easy as that. There are so many accents, and
though not all may make sense in all positions, it would give potential
large rights to some people, most often for no reason. It may also lead to
people feeling forced to register an additional 7, 8, 9 domains with all
possible accents on the vowels (in many European languages). This will
only benefit the registries and registrars. And it will make perfectly
legitimate and non-confusing use of names impossible. E.g. in German you
can have dots over many vowels (so-called Umlaut). German 'bar' is English
'bar' or 'cash', but with the Umlaut it is 'bear'. No reason to give the
owner of bar.com or cash.com also bear.com, is there?

Similarly French 'la' and the same with accent grave (`) have totally
different meanings ('the' and 'there').

(And thx for correcting me on my non-existent Italian.)