Re: [ga] 4th Circuit Court of Appeals Reverses Barcelona.com Decision

Yes, yes, no.  See below.

Marc Schneiders wrote:

>This is more interesting than I thought at first. Does it mean that if
>barcelona.com was registered with a Spanish registrar, the outcome might
>have been different?

Yes.

>Appeal against a UDRP decision has to take place
>where the registrar is, isn't that so?

Yes, except that the UDRP complainant could have picked the registrant's
jurisdiction.  And the registrant is of course always free to pick any
place with jurisdiction over the TM owner, since this isn't a true
"appeal" but is technically a sort of collageral attack.

>Is there a country somewhere in the world that hates trademarks?

Not really.  Every economy worth mentioning is a member of the Paris
Convention, which substantially harmonizes basic trademark law.  Most
major economies are also members of the Madrid Protocol, which adds
additional protections, and many of those also belong to TRIPS, which
really goes over the top.   The Paris convention is nearly universal.
But I think North Korea is not a member...

>I might
>set up a registrar business there then. If there are several countries
>that think more lightly about trademark rights, I'd like to know one where
>court cases are reasonably priced.

Fuggadaboutit.