Re: [ga] RE: Who'se done it? .org IDNs killed

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, at 15:10 [=GMT+0200], Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:28:45AM -0400,
>  Bruce Beckwith <bbeckwith@pir.org> wrote
>  a message of 90 lines which said:
>
> > What I would like to remind you and the community about, however, is that
> > when PIR assumed responsibility for the .org TLD, we made it clear to our
> > registrar partners (for communication to their customers) that we would not
> > support nor charge for existing IDN registrations, since they did not meet
> > any industry-accepted standards.
>
> I cannot speak for PIR, obviously, but this seems very
> reasonable. Verisign tried to force the use of a proprietary technique
> to do IDN, and I understand that PIR does not want to endorse it. I'm
> sorry for the registrants, but they were victims of a Verisign
> marketing false promise, it does not give them any rights.

I have the following issues with this perspective:

1. PIR should have told us. More so since they promised no change, and
kept up the IDN org names until at least March 12. [Yes, Dave Crocker,
that was the issue, read my mail.]

2. I'd rather say the people were the victim of ICANN giving ORG to
another entity, one that refuses to support the 'testbed'. Without that
ORG IDNs would still work like those under .com and .net.

Should we expect that .net IDNs will stop working in 2005 when .net will
be given (if that happens) to another?

> Now that we have RFC 3490 and friends, the situation is quite
> different and there is no reason to delay the introduction of IDN
> (except technical details, of course, which can take a bit of time).

Yes, it is marvellous that some progress in standard setting has been
made, at last. No reason though to SILENTLY kill part of an earlier
testbed.

Stability?