Re: [ga] Internationalized Domain Names deployed

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 03:19:52PM +0200,
 Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> Which brings me to the issue that nobody has ever decided whether,
> say, the current owner of liberte.com should have any priority right
> on libertè.com.

It is a very interesting issue but I do not think it is possible to
get an international answer. People in France and in Sweden, for
instance, have different expectations when Unicode characters are not
available. French-speaking people are typically more lax about
composed characters.

AFNIC's Board decided that two labels of the same bundle (for instance
cafe and café) must be registered only to the same registrant. We will
register IDN that way.

Do note that it requires a table of variants, which involves some
heated discussions about the semantics of the various characters.

> (I think he should, otherwise we're going to see plenty of
> disputes.)

Anyway, it is a matter to be settled at a national level. Completely
off-topic for ICANN.