Re: [ga] ALAC on ccNSO

On 7 May 2003 at 8:59, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> But I still think that there are some interactions and
> interdependences between what ccTLDs do and what the other types of
> registries do, and this is why some interactions and discussions at
> the ICANN level between ccTLDs and the rest of the community are
> highly desirable. They should not end up in the production of top-down
> binding policies (except perhaps when the root is involved), but they
> should end up in building awareness and consensus around best practices
> that, being the best, will be naturally adopted by most ccTLDs.

I don't think that root policies should be mandated by affiliation to
ICANN either.  If a ccTLD chooses to use their own root, for whatever
reasons, they should be free to do so.  There are good reasons for having
interaction among all ccTLDs and they can learn and grow with those
interactions.  No policies should be binding on them, however.  Best
practices can be developed, but even those should be a matter of choice
and selection based on needs and local laws.  I would think that the
purpose of having a community of cc's would be to develop understanding
and cooperation, but leave policy making to their own jurisdictions.

Leah