RE: The telephone network and the internet (RE: [ga] ALAC comment s on proposed Bylaws modifications)

At 21:42 10/03/03, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>I do understand that the ITU needs financing. But the path it has chosen,
>to do this in part by charging for texts, has the side effect that it will
>make participation more difficult, except for companies. Is that what you
>want?

Marc,
there is a small difference between ITU-T and what should be ITU-I.

The members are large Telephone companies and Gov civil servants.
These people work on p-documents, not on e-documents. Also, the
ITU-T used to work by sessions like a Parliament where drafts are
proposed in hours, or in half-hours. The paper distribution at coffee
breaks is sometimes impressive (at least when I used to be
there). The paper printing is important. One of the aspect is that
these papers are also mailed to non participants and that members
distribute it a lot in their organizations locally. On-line is just another
way to mail p-mail.

An ITU-I should come IMO with two basic features the lack of are
the reasons why every effort not having them and no staff will fail:

- a free electonic pdf distribution system, with a good info support
- a free transparent e-management system of which the use is
   the proof of membership (with voting, information, archiving,
   etc.) mechanism.

jfc

---