ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: Official Altroot bashing (Re: [ga] ICANN Whois Update)

At 23:39 03/09/02, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, at 13:47 [=GMT-0400], Michael D. Palage wrote:
> > Very interesting update from ICANN on Whois accuracy.
> > http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-03sep02.htm
>
>Indeed. Thanks. I fail to see, why it is necessary to have on the
>www.internic.net website (where one can complain about inaccurate whois
>data online) a "Non-technical explanation of the domain-name system why
>universal resolvability is important", mainly an attempt at altroot
>bashing. This gives me the idea that the whois correctness exercize is
>also mainly prompted by ICANN's felt need for selfjustification, to which
>www.internic.net seems now dedicated.

1. this non technical explanation is additionnally repeating ad nauseam the
usual layer violation about domain names and mnemonics. A separated level
as iDNs show it. A minimum analysis should make them understand the way the
DNS works for 18 years and they are supposed to help selling it!

2. Marc: I think you miss the point. ICANN is a registry. They do not want
ISOC to see their revenues drop ...as if someone started to give domain
names for free, for ever, with value added services.
jfc