ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] Legitimate Hi-Jacking

Mike,

Fifteen days is simply not long enough, given the consequences of a late
reply.  If a registrant from the middle east, Canada, Europe or asia has a
problem with a defunct ISP that causes a change in email addresses, for
instance, and has to use snail mail to or from the US, he might not receive
notification for weeks - many times three or more - and it takes the same
amount of time for return snail mail.  I live in the US - east coast - and it
has taken 10 days for me to receive mail from California and as much as a
week to receive mail from within the state. I have never received some mail.
Overnight mail to/from AU takes 3 to 4 days.  Canadian mail takes weeks on a
regular basis.  Mail delivery is horrendous.

I know that people generally do not have such extreme problems, but 15 days
under the circumstances is not efficient or even reasonable.  Under the above
scenario, even a telephone response would be too late, and some registrars
won't accept phone calls and do literally everything via web based forms.  In
addition, those who travel for business purposes or even take vacations make
this time frame impossible.  In the US, a vacation is usually a week or two,
but elsewhere a normal vacation can be more than four weeks and many travel
outside their countries.  ISPs fail every day, or change backbones and cause
email changes, technical contact changes...  Just these things alone is
enough to rethink WLS and potential loss of domains through events beyond the
control of registrants.

There are too many variables involved in this problem.  Verification of
incorrect data is difficult in any case, but for a registrant to lose a
domain because of an unduly short time frame and WLS is completely
unacceptable.  The domain should NOT be removed from the zones in just 15
days.

Leah