ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] ICANN Whois Update

Michael and all assembly members, stakeholders or other interested
parties,

  In part I agree with the gist of this ICANN announcement.  Our
members however do not agree as also most stakeholders
that the letter referenced in this ICANN announcement is
how Whois records should be managed.  See:
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/touton-letter-to-beckwith-03sep02.htm

To wit the following in this letter to Verisign is egregious and
extralegal
as to the following excerpt:
"Under section 3.3 of the RAA, each ICANN-accredited registrar has
agreed to provide free public Whois service giving information about the
registrations it sponsors in the registry. Among other elements, the
information must include:
        The name and postal address of the Registered Name Holder; "

  This RAA requirement is inconsistent with current law regarding the
privacy of a persons personal and private information under the Privacy
Act...

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Very interesting update from ICANN on Whois accuracy.
>
> http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-03sep02.htm

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801