Re: [ga] Structure Taskforce Update No 3

> David,
>
> Perhaps I've been out of the loop on the work of the structure task force,
> but I was under the impression that the task force's work was to center on
> possible restructuring of the DNSO. Much of the work so far seem pretty far
> afield of that. Can you give us a quick run down on the charter of the task
> force and where things are headed and why? Many thanks for your good work,

I always saw the review taskforce more looking at DNSO restructuring and
structure at wider ICANN structure.

The initial terms of reference are at
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc06/msg00022.html and were "To produce
a timely impact assessment on ICANN decision making and the role of the DNSO as
a result of the proposals from the at-large study committee, the desire of the
ccTLDs to form their own supporting organisation and other related proposals."

Then expanded terms of reference were suggested at
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-str/Arc00/msg00012.html and were "To produce
a timely impact assessment on
a) the efficacy of ICANN decision making and
b) the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO,
as a result of the proposals from the at-large study committee, the desire of
the ccTLDs to form their own supporting organisation and other related
proposals and;
To produce a recommendation to the Names Council on key re-structuring
proposals. "

This went through several more changes and on 3/12/01 a final TOR was posted at
http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-str/Arc00/msg00046.html which expanded on the
points above.

Most of the focus has been on how having an ALSO would affect the DNSO as the
DNSO at present is meant to be the sole policy advisory body to the Board on
domain name issues (quick no-one mention GAC :-)

I made the point that while there is no representation of individuals within
the DNSO then many will support having an alternative policy advisory body.
Thus there has also been some focus on how to achieve individual representation
within the domain name policy process.

DPF