[nc-str] Extended terms of reference
Further to the meeting we had of those TF members present in LA last week, allow me to propose the following expanded terms of reference. These build on the outline agreed to previously by the TF.
Expanded terms of reference for the NC TF on structure
The terms below provide detail to the outline TOR previously circulated to the task force.
NC task force on Structure
one representative from each constituency and one from the GA
Members: Chair Philip
IP Mark Bohannon, BC Marilyn Cade, gTLDs David Johnson, ccTLDs Peter Dengate-Thrush, Registrars Ken Stubbs, Non-Commercials ?, ISP Tony Holmes, GA Dave Farrar
Terms of reference
To produce a timely impact assessment on
a) the efficacy of ICANN decision making and
b) the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO,
as a result of the proposals from the at-large study committee, the desire of the ccTLDs to form their own supporting organisation and other related proposals and;
To produce a recommendation to the Names Council on key re-structuring proposals.
To achieve this the task force should briefly evaluate proposals for re-structuring against the following criteria:
1. the efficacy of ICANN decision making.
- the ability of each proposal to generate valid consensus-based policy making
- possibility of the Board receiving contradictory advice from its SOs and the impact on resolution mechanisms
- likely financial and representational robustness of any SO.
2. the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO
- degree of formal interaction between stakeholders
- ratio of unique issues of a new SO outside the competence of DNSO versus issues within competence of DNSO
- effect on the DNSO consensus process.
The task force will consider proposals made to the Board by the ALSC or DNSO constituencies before 31 January 2002.
Agreement on terms of reference – 23 November
Development of criteria – 30 November
Data gathering - December/January
Initial report 31 January 2002
Report ICANN Ghana March 2002