[nc-str] Final terms of reference
Thank you Peter and David for your last comments on the terms of reference. I agree with all of these and hope I have captured them below in this latest iteration. For clarification, NC rules do not call for a co-chair. My chairing is in my capacity as NC chair and of course it is non-voting as the BC already has a representative! As the TOR have changed I will also make a change to the draft paper and re-circulate.Comments on that paper please.
Terms of reference for the NC TF on structure v5
NC task force on Structure
one representative from each constituency and one from the GA, chaired by the chair of the NC.
Members: Chair Philip
IP Mark Bohannon, BC Marilyn Cade, gTLDs David Johnson, ccTLDs Peter Dengate-Thrush, Registrars Ken Stubbs, Non-Commercials Raul Echeberria, ISP Tony Holmes, GA Dave Farrar
Terms of reference
To produce a timely impact assessment on
a) the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO, and
b) the efficacy of ICANN decision making
as a result of the proposals from the at-large study committee, the desire of the ccTLDs to form their own supporting organisation and other proposals and;
To produce a recommendation to the Names Council based on this assessment.
To achieve this the task force should briefly evaluate proposals for re-structuring against the following criteria:
1. the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO
- degree of formal interaction between stakeholders
- quantity of predicted unique issues of a new SO outside the competence of DNSO versus issues within competence of DNSO
- mechanisms for cross-SO communication
- effect on the DNSO consensus process.
2. the efficacy of ICANN decision making
- the ability of each proposal to generate valid consensus-based policy making
- possibility of the Board receiving contradictory advice from its SOs and the impact on resolution mechanisms
- likely financial and representational robustness of any SO
- likelihood of the proposal to achieve adequate, balanced and fair stakeholder representation on the Board
The task force will consider proposals made to the Board before 31 January 2002.
Agreement on terms of reference – 28 November
Development of principles and criteria – 10 December
Data gathering/evaluation - December/January
Initial report 31 January 2002
Interim ICANN Ghana March 2002