[nc-str] Final terms of reference
Peter, Marilyn thank you for your comments on the proposed terms of reference (TOR). I think these add useful clarity and I suggest as chair that the following revised TOR are adopted.
I have asked via liaison 7 for Constituencies to forward their position papers on the At-large proposals - and propose we start work on the basis of the ALSC November report, taking into account these Constituency positions. I will endeavour to post an preliminary document shortly and welcome any other input in the meantime.
Expanded terms of reference for the NC TF on structure
The terms below provide detail to the outline TOR previously circulated to the task force.
NC task force on Structure
one representative from each constituency and one from the GA, chaired by the chair of the NC.
Members: Chair Philip
IP Mark Bohannon, BC Marilyn Cade, gTLDs David Johnson, ccTLDs Peter Dengate-Thrush, Registrars Ken Stubbs, Non-Commercials Raul Echeberria, ISP Tony Holmes, GA Dave Farrar
Terms of reference
To produce a timely impact assessment on
a) the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO, and
b) the efficacy of ICANN decision making
as a result of the proposals from the at-large study committee, the desire of the ccTLDs to form their own supporting organisation and other related proposals and;
To produce a recommendation to the Names Council based on this assessment.
To achieve this the task force should briefly evaluate proposals for re-structuring against the following criteria:
1. the efficacy of policy making within the DNSO
- degree of formal interaction between stakeholders
- ratio of unique issues of a new SO outside the competence of DNSO versus issues within competence of DNSO
- mechanisms for cross-SO communication
- effect on the DNSO consensus process.
2. the efficacy of ICANN decision making
- the ability of each proposal to generate valid consensus-based policy making
- possibility of the Board receiving contradictory advice from its SOs and the impact on resolution mechanisms
- likely financial and representational robustness of any SO.
The task force will consider proposals made to the Board by the ALSC or DNSO constituencies before 31 January 2002.
Agreement on terms of reference – 28 November
Development of principles and criteria – 10 December
Data gathering/evaluation - December/January
Initial report 31 January 2002
Interim ICANN Ghana March 2002