Re[2]: [ga] RE: [icann-delete] WLS Input - Greatest Good vs. Benefits of the Few

So, it appears that those who chose to vote represented the majority,
in terms of market share. Clearly, then, Ross's statement was correct
in that sense.

However, I submit that Ross's statement was also correct with respect
to the issue raised by Ron Wiener, about the 75 non-voting/not counted
registrars.

In this country,  TX :), we all have a right to vote, but we must get
involved in the process by registering to vote and actually going to
the polls. It seems to me that these 75 chose not to be involved,
since no one has presented any facts to the contrary.

Therefore, regardless of market share, Ross was correct in his
statement.  When folks don't get involved, register and cast a ballot,
no one counts their vote -- to do so is mere speculation.

Accordingly, Ron Wiener's issue about the 75 other Registrars fails on
its face, making it moot.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there has been no factual
presentation of those who do favor WLS.  Besides Snap and the
Registry, who actually favors and supports WLS?  I mean hard facts,
not conjecture and speculation.

At the very least, those opposed to WLS can be quantified.

Tuesday, January 15, 2002, 4:25:52 PM, genie@ magi <genie@magi.net> wrote:
gm> William:
>>Perhaps you can clear up, Ron, exactly what percentage of new
>>registrations those 75 non-participating registrars are responsible
>>for (exclusing Verisign's own registrar, of course, whose conflict of
>>interest is clear).
>>
>>The number of registrars is less important to me, and probably to
>>most, than the number of registrations they are responsible for.

gm> Using some data available
gm> (bowrrowing David's math from
gm> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga/Arc09/msg00258.html
gm> can anyone please help with the blanks?

gm> EST
gm> Marketshare
gm> ------Registrar-------------------------WLS
gm>       AW Registry (all west) mike brown opposed
gm> 1.80% ENOM - Paul       opposed
gm> 1.07% Tim - GoDaddy     opposed
gm>       Ken Stubbs - CORE/NC
gm>       Bob Connly - PSI Japan    obstain
gm> 11.17% Elona - Register.com     opposed
gm>       Donny Simonton - Intercosmos      opposed
gm>       Steve - DomainBank        opposed
gm>       Margie - Mark Monitor     obstain
gm> 45.45% Bruce Bechwith - Verisign Registrar      n/c
gm>       Mike Paliage
gm>       Steinrl - Active ISP      obstain
gm> 4.34% Bruce Tonkin - MelborneIT opposed
gm> 5.23% Tom - Bulk Registrar      opposed
gm> 1.51% Geoge - Dotster   opposed
gm>       Sigfried - Joker  opposed
gm> 8.38% Ross - Tucows     opposed
gm> 2.66% Werner - CORE     opposed
gm>       Tom - Slund.de    opposed
gm>       Jason - Media Venture
gm>       Alice's - Rick    opposed
gm>       David W - IA Registry     opposed
gm>       Speed Names - Nicoli      opposed
gm>       Rob - NameScout   opposed

>>If those 75 are responsible, collectively, for less than 50% of new
>>registrations, and it wouldn't surprise me if the  percentage was
>>VASTLY lower than that, then your points here are really
>>insignificant, and self serving.

gm> Cheers
gm> Genie Livingstone

gm> --
gm> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.
gm> ("unsubscribe ga" in the body of the message).
gm> Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----